Milagu rasam / Goddu saru

pepper rasam goddu saru milagu rasam
This rasam feels good when you have cold or fever or when you feel like having some light lunch after a continues heavy eating.
So here I go to the recipe
List 1
Jeera - 1tbsp
Peppercorns - 15
coriander seed - 1/4 tbsp
channa dal - 1/4 tbsp
Thur dal - 1/4 tbsp
curry leaves - 1 string
List 2
Tamarind - Little (coin size)
tomato - 1
coriander leaves
mustard
turmeric
Jaggery - 1/2 tsp

First in a hot pan, dry roast the ingredients in list 1 and when it cools, powder it and keep it ready. Put a teaspoon of ghee and when it is hot add mustard and curry leaves. Add the sliced tomatoes and fry it well. Then make a nice watery paste of tamarind and add more water if required. Add salt to it. Let the liquid boil very well. Now add the grounded powder to it. When it boils, add jaggery. Add curry and coriander leaves and boil it for few mins. Serve it with hot rice.

4 comments:

sriharivatsan said...

I too make this but yours is very much different from mine...I wont add tomatoes to milagu rasam..Anyway, will try this also once..

Madhu's cooking gallery said...

Right Sri..Authentic milagu rasam will not have tomato..but I just love tomatoes in rasam.. so I added it.. it really tasted well.. thanks for your comments!

Unknown said...

Spicy n yumm! Thanks for sending it to Think Pepper event!

myscrawls said...

Hi Madhu,

Goddu saru looks yummy. Adding tomatoes would surely increase the taste. Loved ur food blog :)

I am Anu from My Scrawls. I have posted my version of Goddu saaru in my blog. Do visit my blog in ur free time. Would be happy to receive ur comments :)